The table below provides a sense of the information contained in the variety of historic land title records in which land transactions were documented.

The documents from 1870 to 1894 included here reveal only part of the story of the land amassed by Henry Elliott and transferred in 1894 to his wife Ellen Elliott.

For the present purpose, it would be too complicated to include the earlier documents relating to the whole of the property to which Mrs. Elliott was listed as the absolute fee owner from 14 February 1894. The documents from 1906 to 1912 relate specifically to Lot 15, Block XXXVI, City of New Westminster, and show the history of transactions relating to Lots 1, 2, 3, and 4 on Tenth Street, between Queens Avenue and Auckland Street, during those years.

For illustrative purposes only, digital scans have been cropped to exclude non-relevant transactions and pasted together to present each transaction as a single image where a transaction spans two pages.

Please note that this is not a definitive title search, rather a representation to show the inter-relationships between record series.

Records Source

Date

Brief Description of Documented Transactions

W, Conveyance Book vol. 2, folios 181 and 182, no. 2263
 

30 May 1870

On 30 May 1870, the Indenture from Henry Bruce to Henry Elliott, dated 24 May 1870 and conveying certain lands in the District of New Westminster, was deposited for registration at the Land Registry Office. That document explains that Henry Elliott had paid Henry Bruce $150 to purchase 150 acres of land.

NW, Crown Grant 15465F
 

3 November 1874

Henry Elliott acquired a further 44 acres in New Westminster District by Crown grant from the provincial Crown dated 3 November 1874. He paid $49.50 for the surface rights, with gold and silver ore explicitly reserved to the Crown. The Crown Grant originally numbered 1463 was signed by Lieutenant-Governor Joseph W. Trutch in the top right-hand corner, by Chief Commissioner of Lands and Works Robert Beaven, beneath the coat of arms, and by Provincial Secretary John Ash at the bottom.

The sketch attached to the Crown grant highlights in red the parcel conveyed to Henry Elliott, showing that Section Twenty-eight (28), Block Five (5) North, Range Four (IV) West, New Westminster District, is along the North Arm of the Fraser River. Again, the sketch is signed Robert Beaven, CCLW.

The annotation on the reverse of the Crown grant shows that it was deposited at the Land Registry Office and registered on 14 February 1894 in Absolute Fees Book, volume 19, folio 155 as part of absolute fee 480F. The Crown Grant was just one of the long list of instruments submitted that continued over the page.

NW, AFB vol. 19, folios 155 and 157, no. 480F

NW, AFPB, vol. 10, folio 634, no. 480F
 

14 February 1894

On 14 February 1894, at New Westminster Land Registry Office, Ellen Elliott was registered as the absolute fee owner of a whole list of property within the City of New Westminster, including Lot 15, Block XXXVI, referred to below in later documents. The Parcels Book column indicates that a description of the property was entered in the Absolute Fees Parcels Book. At the bottom of the List of Instruments column, we learn that Ellen Elliott had received the lands described in the Parcels (Short Description) column from her husband Henry Elliott by conveyance in fee dated 10 February 1894.

NW, IFB vol. 1, folio 104, no. 8999F
 

29 August 1906

On 29 August 1906, at New Westminster Land Registry Office, Elizabeth Hembrough was registered as the indefeasible fee owner of Lots 1 and 2 by conveyance dated 20 August 1906 from Charles Stephen Vaughan Branch.

NW, plan 969
 

1 May 1907

On 1 May 1907, a plan of the subdivision of Lot 15, Block XXXVI, City of New Westminster, was deposited in the New Westminster Land Registry Office. The plan, showing Lots 1, 2, 3, and 4 on Tenth Street between Queens Avenue and Auckland Street, was certified and signed by British Columbia Land Surveyor William Nelson Draper. New Westminster Mayor W.H. Keary signed the plan to certify that conditions 1, 2, and 3 of section 68 of the Land Registry Act had been complied with. Among the other annotations on the plan is the signature of Mrs. E. Hembrough.

NW, CB vol. 16, folio 101, no. 7699C
 

2 November 1907

On 2 November 1907, at New Westminster Land Registry Office, James O'Halloran was registered as the owner of a charge against Lot 2 (only) by mortgage in fee 30 October 1907 from Elizabeth Hembrough. The information annotated within the red-ink rubber stamp indicates that the charge was cancelled on 24 March 1911 and entered in the New Westminster Satisfaction Book, vol. 3, folio 455 (that volume no longer exists).

NW, CB vol. 19, folio 114, no. 13460F
 

26 April 1910

On 26 April 1910, at New Westminster Land Registry Office, Lewis Charles and Joseph Reid were registered as the owners of a charge against Lots 1, 2, 3 and 4 by agreement for sale and purchase dated 7 March 1910 from Elizabeth Hembrough.

NW, CB vol. 19, folio 114, no. 13598F
 

7 May 1910

On 7 May 1910, at New Westminster Land Registry Office, David K. Newell was registered as the owner of a charge against Lots 1, 2, 3 and 4 by agreement for sale and purchase dated 11 April 1910 from Charles Lewis and Joseph Reid, pursuant to the agreement for sale and purchase dated 7 March 1910 from Elizabeth Hembrough to Charles Lewis and Joseph Reid.

NW, IFB vol. 8, folio 5, no. 31975F
 

12 August 1912

On 12 August 1912, at New Westminster Land Registry Office, Lewis Charles and Joseph Reid were registered as the indefeasible fee owners of Lots 1, 2, 3 and 4 by conveyance dated 12 September 1911 from Elizabeth Hembrough.

NW, IFB vol. 8, folio 6, no. 31976F
 

13 August 1912

On 13 August 1912, at New Westminster Land Registry Office, David K. Newell was registered as the indefeasible fee owner of Lots 1, 2, 3 and 4 by conveyance dated 12 September 1911 from Joseph Reid and Charles Lewis (by his attorney Joseph Reid) .