Why can't the land title office give me legal advice?

Land title staff are unable to advise on legal rights or actions associated with land titles and charges. The Registrar of Land Titles and staff...

How do I know which land title district my property is in?

View a map of the Land Title Districts in BC for more information.

One of the registered owners of a land title has died. How can their name be removed from the title?

Transferring title such as after the death of a spouse or owner on title requires the expertise of a legal professional. See...

How can I find the Parcel Identifier (PID) for a property?

You can search for a PID using ParcelMap BC, the LTSA's online map of active...

Will I be informed by the LTSA if a charge is registered against my title?

Owners are typically involved or notified when charges are registered against their title. The notice will include information about the nature of...

The Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia (LTSA) would like to remind customers that ownership interests in land can be transferred through one of two applications:

1. Joint Tenant

Joint tenancy is a form of co-ownership of interests in land in which the ownership is acquired at the same time and where each owner has an equal interest in the land. Upon the death of a joint tenant owner, the interest of the deceased joint tenant passes to the surviving joint tenant(s).

If your lands are held as joint tenants, an application must be made to the Land Title Office that transmits the deceased owner’s interest to the surviving joint tenant(s).

Please visit the Transmit Surviving Joint Tenant page for more information.

2. Tenants in Common

Land held as tenants in common must be distributed in accordance with the wishes of the deceased set out in a will or, where there is no will, in accordance with the Wills, Estates and Succession Act.

Where the lands are held as tenants in common--or by a sole owner--an application must be made to the Land Title Office by submitting an application to transmit the deceased owner’s interest to the deceased owner’s personal representative.

Please visit the Transmit Interest to a Personal Representative page for more information. 

Contact the myLTSA Customer Service team with any questions at customerservice@ltsa.ca or by phone to 604-630-9630 or 1-877-577-LTSA (5872).