Under common law, a waterfront property owner does own land that has legitimately accreted to the upland through gradual and imperceptible natural deposition. In BC, the land owner must engage the services of a BC land surveyor to create and deposit an updated survey plan in order to update the certificate of title to the upland property by including lawful accretion. This process requires the land surveyor to make an accretion application to the Surveyor General.