Why can't the land title office give me legal advice?

Land title staff are unable to advise on legal rights or actions associated with land titles and charges. The Registrar of Land Titles and staff...

How do I know which land title district my property is in?

View a map of the Land Title Districts in BC for more information.

One of the registered owners of a land title has died. How can their name be removed from the title?

Transferring title such as after the death of a spouse or owner on title requires the expertise of a legal professional. See...

How can I find the Parcel Identifier (PID) for a property?

You can search for a PID using ParcelMap BC, the LTSA's online map of active...

Will I be informed by the LTSA if a charge is registered against my title?

Owners are typically involved or notified when charges are registered against their title. The notice will include information about the nature of...

The LTSA recommends that property owners consult a professional for advice and assistance when searching land title records and making changes to a title.

Why Hire a Professional?

Real estate is the most important asset many British Columbians own.

Any change to a title, even changes that seem minor, may have major legal repercussions and other consequences.

Legal professionals can advise on issues with respect to land ownership that may have far reaching effects on estate planning, taxation and other legal matters. These professionals can also act as representatives in land-related matters and can request records on your behalf and interpret them for you. 

Using legal professionals to submit changes to titles also minimizes the risk of fraudulent activity against titles, and the security of the land title system depends upon the vigilance provided by legal and other professionals.

Services Provided by LTSA

The LTSA maintains the land title register, BC's official legal record of private property ownership.

In maintaining the land title register, we act in strict compliance with the requirements under the Land Title Act and can be counted on to be impartial.

LTSA employees can:

  • Explain how to search the land title register
  • Provide procedural and instructional information for applications to the land title office and how to obtain land title records

LTSA employees are unable to:

  • Provide legal advice on real estate transaction issues
  • Interpret information contained on title or other land title records
  • Mail forms to customers, complete (fill-in) application forms for land title registration or explain what is to be contained in application forms
  • Conduct historical, genealogical or other research into land title records

View Changes to Title for information on filing applications to the land title office.

Manual land title forms can be printed from the Forms for Manual Filing page. 

Hire a Professional to Assist You

A lawyer, notary public or land surveyor (as applicable) should be consulted for land title registration or requests for title searches or other records. Registry agents can provide copies of titles, documents and plans, conduct historical research, retrieve land title records that are not available online, and perform title monitoring services.