Front Counters Open By Appointment Only

Please be aware that LTSA’s Land Title Office front counters are open by appointment only to protect the safety of our customers and staff. Customers can contact the Customer Service Centre on 1-877-577-LTSA (5872) to book an in-person visit.

The general instructions on this website do not guarantee registration

All land title applications undergo a complete examination after they are received. The LTSA recommends you consult with a legal professional who can provide advice on compliance with these statutory forms and related matters.

LTSA employees are not permitted to provide legal advice or assist in completing forms. If you choose to submit an application yourself, the land title office registration process for applications received by mail or in person is described below.

The LTSA updates the land title register each time a change is made to the registered title.

Changes are made to title when a property is bought or sold, a mortgage is paid off, or a registrable interest, such as a mortgage, is created or modified. Changes may also occur following the death of a spouse, divorce or marriage.

Identification of Documents

When receiving applications by mail or in person, the cashier will stamp your document with the date, time and a pending application number to identify them.

Successful Registration

An Examiner of Title will review your application to ensure compliance with legal requirements. If legal requirements are met, it will be registered and recorded with the application number effective on the date and time originally stamped on your document.
If you would like confirmation of registration, you may order a State of Title Certificate for a fee.

Unsuccessful Registration and Recourse for Applicants

If your application is unsuccessful, you will be mailed a Notice Declining to Register or a defect notice at the address listed in Item 1 of your application.

The defect notice describes what the problem is. It may also suggest what is needed to meet the requirements of the appropriate Land Title Act or related statues.

Most importantly, the defect notice may state a date you need to resubmit by. If you miss that deadline, your application may be cancelled.

If you are the applicant it is your responsibility to resolve the defect. You may also need to pay an additional fee to resubmit your application.

If you have questions, please call the Customer Service Centre. Please note that LTSA staff can’t give legal advice or help fill out forms.

Related Topics