How do I go about subdividing my land or consolidating lots?

Please consult your municipality or regional district with respect to all subdivision and consolidation questions and applications. A BC land...

My property corner stake/post is missing. Who is qualified to survey my property?

A practicing BC land surveyor (BCLS) who is a member of the Association of British Columbia Land Surveyors is the only person qualified to legally...

A water body adjacent to my property has deposited material which, over time, has caused my property area to expand. Does this new land area now belong to me?

Under common law, a waterfront property owner does own land that has legitimately accreted to the upland through gradual and imperceptible natural...

My property adjoins a body of water that has eroded my land. How do I establish my actual property boundary?

Waterfront properties have natural boundaries that are subject to the forces of erosion and deposition (accretion). A BC land surveyor is licensed...

I have waterfront property. What are my rights?

Owners of waterfront properties enjoy certain riparian rights. These rights include access to and from the water, protection of the property from...

A land survey plan – such as a subdivision plan, reference plan, posting plan, air space plan or strata plan – represents pictorially the legal boundaries and dimensions of a surveyed parcel of land, and identifies the type and location of monuments or survey posts set in the ground to define the boundaries of the parcel.

Survey plans are prepared by professional BC land surveyors for filing in a land title office or in the Crown land registry. Each year, over 11,000 land survey plans are submitted to the LTSA for filing and registration. Many historical survey plans are available only in hardcopy format.

Scanned images of most survey plans registered in the LTSA's land title offices are available through myLTSA Enterprise. Contact a land surveyor, legal professional or registry agent to request an electronic copy of a survey plan. 

Having a Land Survey Completed

The LTSA's Surveyor General Services oversees the land survey system and works closely with the Association of British Columbia Land Surveyors in maintaining cadastral (legal) survey standards.

These standards are the rules that professional land surveyors must follow when they are hired by a landowner to survey a parcel of land. The rules define approved land survey methods and accuracy requirements, and specify standards for maintaining on-the-ground survey evidence, such as survey monuments.

If you would like a land survey completed, contact the Association of British Columbia Land Surveyors.

Locating Property Boundaries

The LTSA cannot provide assistance with locating property boundaries.

Please contact the Association of British Columbia Land Surveyors to find a land surveyor that can assist you.