Why can't the land title office give me legal advice?

Land title staff are unable to advise on legal rights or actions associated with land titles and charges. The Registrar of Land Titles and staff...

How do I know which land title district my property is in?

View a map of the Land Title Districts in BC for more information.

One of the registered owners of a land title has died. How can their name be removed from the title?

Transferring title such as after the death of a spouse or owner on title requires the expertise of a legal professional. See...

How can I find the Parcel Identifier (PID) for a property?

You can search for a PID using ParcelMap BC, the LTSA's online map of active...

Will I be informed by the LTSA if a charge is registered against my title?

Owners are typically involved or notified when charges are registered against their title. The notice will include information about the nature of...

Service Notice: Restricted Access to Land Title Offices

In order to protect the health and well-being of our employees and customers, the Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia (LTSA) is restricting access in all Land Title Offices to only its employees, direct access pass holders and Registry Agents until further notice.

Land Title Office front counters are closed; all other office operations continue as usual. Access the COVID-19 practice materials and resources here and follow our Twitter account for updates.

The general instructions on this website do not guarantee registration.

All land title applications undergo a complete examination after they are received. The LTSA recommends you consult with a legal professional who can provide advice on compliance with these statutory forms and related matters.

LTSA employees are not permitted to provide legal advice or assist in completing forms.

To change name on title as a result of marriage, divorce or other legal name change.

Steps to Apply by Mail

PLEASE NOTE: The Registrar cannot accept the following image or numerical information as evidence in support of an application: Driver's License, Permanent Resident Card, Citizenship Card, Social Insurance Number, Passport Information, Health Card Information, credit card image (this also applies to electronically filed documents).

If you are submitting the original certificate, LTSA staff will make a Registrar's Certified Copy of the certificate and return the original.

1. Original Marriage Certificate or Certificate of Change of Name.

Evidence may be required to demonstrate a “chain” of name changes if the Name on the Marriage Certificate or the Previous Name on the Certificate of Change of Name differs from the Name on Title (for example, due to a previous married name or additional/missing middle name).

    1. If you were married or changed your name in BC, these documents may be obtained from BC's Vital Statistics Agency or the nearest Service BC office. A marriage commissioner's statement of marriage or a copy of a marriage license is not acceptable. Certificates are issued from the country or location in which the birth, marriage or change of name occurred. Therefore, it is not uncommon for a certificate to come from a foreign jurisdiction. Generally, as long as the certificate is an original issued from the appropriate public officer and is in English or provides the English translationof the words, it is acceptable.
      Where a certificate is not in English, the application must be accompanied by a translation of the certificate. The translation must be certified by an official translatoror, alternatively, by someone fluent in both English and the other language. The translation must be supported by a statutory declaration by the translator. 
      Since the requirements and laws pertaining to the issuance of certificates differ throughout the world, certificates can come in many forms. Where there is any doubt as to the authenticity or acceptability of a marriage/birth certificate it must be referred to a manager for a ruling.
      If you wish to retain a copy of the translation for personal records, please ensure multiple copies are provided by the translator.
    2. To apply to change your married surname back to your birth surname, you must supply the original Marriage Certificate and ensure the "chain" of name changes is clearly demonstrated by providing evidence such as an original statutory declaration supported by the original Birth Certificate.

2. A duly-completed PDF icon Form 17 - Change Name.

PDF icon 3. Duplicate Certificate of Title must be surrendered if not on file at the land title office. A title search will determine if the Duplicate Title is still on file in the land title office.

4. Pay the Indefeasible Title fee for each parcel or charge affected. 

5. If you require confirmation of registration, please complete a PDF icon Request Form for State of Title Certificate and for each title include payment for the Certification fee.

Additional Information

  • When completing forms, type or print clearly in dark ink on standard letter-size paper (8.5" x 11")
  • If you are submitting a copy of the application to be returned to you, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope
  • Fees are payable in Canadian funds by cheque or money order payable to:

    Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia

    Anvil Centre Office Tower
    Suite 500 - 11 Eighth Street
    New Westminster, British Columbia
    Canada, V3M 3N7

  • Do not mail cash