Why can't the land title office give me legal advice?

Land title staff are unable to advise on legal rights or actions associated with land titles and charges. The Registrar of Land Titles and staff...

How do I know which land title district my property is in?

View a map of the Land Title Districts in BC for more information.

One of the registered owners of a land title has died. How can their name be removed from the title?

Transferring title such as after the death of a spouse or owner on title requires the expertise of a legal professional. See...

How can I find the Parcel Identifier (PID) for a property?

You can search for a PID using ParcelMap BC, the LTSA's online map of active...

Will I be informed by the LTSA if a charge is registered against my title?

Owners are typically involved or notified when charges are registered against their title. The notice will include information about the nature of...

  • The general instructions on this website do not guarantee registration.

    All land title applications undergo a complete examination after they are received. The LTSA recommends you consult with a legal professional who can provide advice on compliance with these statutory forms and related matters.

    LTSA employees are not permitted to provide legal advice or assist in completing forms.

Transferring title such as after the purchase of a new home or death of a spouse requires the expertise of a legal professional.

A legal professional can investigate the current status of the title to determine the required land title documentation as determined by their investigation of the current status of the title recorded in the land title register.

Important Legal Considerations

  • Transmission of property requires specific documents that may be issued by various governments throughout the world. There are other legal aspects to consider such as estate planning, future title ownership needs or land tax deferment possibilities.
  • There may be court documents or certificates required that your lawyer may identify and apply for on your behalf which allows the registration of a change in title to proceed with fewer time delays.
  • After filing the necessary documentation with the LTSA, the legal professional will be responsible for any potential deficiencies in the documents and will be required to remedy them, at their cost.

Legal Professionals Protect Your Interests

A legal professional becomes your representative in these matters and acts on your behalf. They can advise you on appropriately recording your title ownership and answer property tax questions.

Legal professionals electronically file land title documentation offering enhanced fraud protection through the electronic digital signature process.

Please hire a legal professional who can give you advice on compliance with these statutory forms and related matters. Your legal professional can also provide you with a current State of Title Certificate which is a certified true copy of the new title record.