How do I go about subdividing my land or consolidating lots?

Please consult your municipality or regional district with respect to all subdivision and consolidation questions and applications. A BC land...

My property corner stake/post is missing. Who is qualified to survey my property?

A practicing BC land surveyor (BCLS) who is a member of the Association of British Columbia Land Surveyors is the only person qualified to legally...

A water body adjacent to my property has deposited material which, over time, has caused my property area to expand. Does this new land area now belong to me?

Under common law, a waterfront property owner does own land that has legitimately accreted to the upland through gradual and imperceptible natural...

My property adjoins a body of water that has eroded my land. How do I establish my actual property boundary?

Waterfront properties have natural boundaries that are subject to the forces of erosion and deposition (accretion). A BC land surveyor is licensed...

I have waterfront property. What are my rights?

Owners of waterfront properties enjoy certain riparian rights. These rights include access to and from the water, protection of the property from...

Direction to Land Surveyors No. 14 (February 22, 2017)

Notice to all land surveyors who submit accretion and natural boundary adjustment applications to the Surveyor General pursuant to sections 94(1)(c), 94(1)(d) and 118(1) Land Title Act where the subject land lies within the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK):

Business Requirements & Practice

Land surveyors are requested to submit their application package to the RDCK at plandept@rdck.bc.caconcurrent with package submission to the Surveyor General via myLTSA. Please indicate in your application letter to the Surveyor General that you have provided a copy of your package to the RDCK.

Upon receipt of an application package where the subject land is within the RDCK, Surveyor General staff will ensure regional district staff provide us with any comments they may have. 

If additional information is requested in support of your application, please ensure that this information is also provided to the RDCK.


Surveyor General staff refer all accretion and natural boundary adjustment applications to the appropriate regional office of the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations and to those local governments that have specifically requested a referral. The purpose of a referral is to obtain any local knowledge that may assist us in adjudicating an application.

The RDCK has asked that land surveyors send them a copy of the application package directly, rather than having Surveyor General staff forward it.  Direct submission will allow the RDCK to respond to the referral request in a more efficient manner.

Thank you


Jeff Beddoes, BCLS CLS

Senior Deputy Surveyor General