How can I find the Parcel Identifier (PID) for a property?

You can search for a PID using ParcelMap BC, the LTSA's online map of active...

Why can't the land title office give me legal advice?

Land title staff are unable to advise on legal rights or actions associated with land titles and charges. The Registrar of Land Titles and staff...

How do I know which land title district my property is in?

View a map of the Land Title Districts in BC for more information.

One of the registered owners of a land title has died. How can their name be removed from the title?

Transferring title such as after the death of a spouse or owner on title requires the expertise of a legal professional. See...

Service Notice: Restricted Access to Land Title Offices

In order to protect the health and well-being of our employees and customers, the Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia (LTSA) is restricting access in all Land Title Offices to only its employees, direct access pass holders and Registry Agents until further notice.

Land Title Office front counters are closed; all other office operations continue as usual. Access the COVID-19 practice materials and resources here and follow our Twitter account for updates.

The general instructions on this website do not guarantee registration.

All land title applications undergo a complete examination after they are received. The LTSA recommends you consult with a legal professional who can provide advice on compliance with these statutory forms and related matters.

LTSA employees are not permitted to provide legal advice or assist in completing forms.

To transmit to surviving joint tenant (fee simple)

Steps to Apply at Land Title Office Counter or by Mail

PLEASE NOTE: The Registrar cannot accept the following image or numerical information as evidence in support of an application: Driver's License, Permanent Resident Card, Citizenship Card, Social Insurance Number, Passport Information, Health Card Information, credit card image (this also applies to electronically filed documents).

If you are submitting the original certificate, LTSA staff will make a Registrar's Certified Copy of the certificate and return the original.

1. Original death certificate from the Vital Statistics Agency.

    1. A funeral director's certificate, photocopy or notarized copy will not be accepted.
    2. Obtain documents for deaths that occurred in British Columbia from BC's Vital Statistics Agency or the nearest Service BC office.
    3. Generally, as long as the death certificate is an original issued from the appropriate public officer and is in English or provides the English translation of the words, it is acceptable.
    4. Where a death certificate is not in English, the application must be accompanied by a translation of the death certificate. The translation must be certified by an official translator or, alternatively, by someone fluent in both English and the other language. The translation must be supported by a statutory declaration by the translator. 
    5. If the name on the death certificate is not exactly as shown on the title, you may be required to provide additional documentation proving identity in the form of an original statutory declaration as sworn before a notary public or lawyer.

2. A duly-completed PDF icon Form 17 - Transmit Interest to Surviving Joint Tenant.

3. Duplicate Certificate of Title must be surrendered if not on file in this office. A current title search will provide this information.

4. Pay the Indefeasible Title fee for each parcel or charge being transmitted. 

5. Property Transfer Tax Return (FIN 579). When completing this form, exemption Code 08 would apply.

    1. If you require assistance with this form, contact the Ministry of Finance, Property Transfer Tax Section. Please do not contact the land title office as we cannot help you with this specific form.
    2. Download a copy of the manual Property Transfer Tax Return (FIN579)

6. If you require confirmation of registration, please complete a PDF icon Request Form for State of Title Certificate and for each title include payment for the Certification fee.

Additional Information

  • When completing forms, type or print clearly in dark ink on standard letter-size paper (8.5" x 11")
  • If you are submitting a copy of the application to be returned to you, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope
  • Fees are payable in Canadian funds by cheque or money order payable to:

    Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia

    Anvil Centre Office Tower
    Suite 500 - 11 Eighth Street
    New Westminster, British Columbia
    Canada, V3M 3N7

  • Do not mail cash