How does my organization become eligible to hold a conservation covenant on a particular parcel of land?

Individuals and non-government organizations are able to register a covenant on private lands. Anyone interested in registering and holding...

Note: Page updated to include instructions for Web Filing

Content for this page has been updated to include instructions for Web Filing of applications to the Surveyor General. Background information on Web Filing is available here. Technical instructions for Web Filing have been added to myLTSA’s Surveyor General Practice Guide.

The PDF versions of Surveyor General forms are now retired. Land surveyors must use the Web Filing versions of these forms moving forward. Web Filing forms can be accessed through the Web Filing menu option in myLTSA.

Section 94(1)(c), Land Title Act

  • Land abutting a body of water may be subject to erosion and deposition (accretion). Waterfront property owners do not own land created by a sudden deposit of material by flood or by an artificial interference of natural processes, or by the addition of fill. However, the waterfront property owner does own land that has accreted to the upland through gradual and imperceptible natural deposition. This natural deposition must be an outward growth from the upland. This resultant outward growth can also be the result of the receding of the shoreline. Conversely, when the upland is eroded gradually and imperceptibly, the property lost becomes part of the foreshore or bed of the adjacent water body and becomes Crown-owned land.
  •  Where erosion or accretion has occurred, the plan referenced on title to the upland will not reflect the actual extent of ownership until an up-to-date survey plan is prepared by a BC land surveyor and filed. A new certificate of title can then be issued referencing the new survey plan.

  • In order for a plan to be filed including accreted land into an upland property, an application must be made to the Surveyor General by a BC land surveyor in accordance with PDF icon Circular Letter 477A. Upon receipt of an application, the Surveyor General refers it for comment to the local office of the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development, and to local governments that have requested to comment on accretion applications within their jurisdictions. Once all referral comments are received, the Surveyor General reviews the relevant facts of the application and then renders a statutory decision. If the application is approved, a BC land surveyor will conduct a field survey and prepare a plan consolidating the accreted land into the upland property. The Surveyor General must certify the plan in order for it to be accepted for deposit in the land title office. Once the plan is deposited in the land title office, a new indefeasible title is registered referencing the extent of the land defined in the new plan.

  • Please submit applications through myLTSA using the Web Filing Surveyor General Application and Plan Submission form and setting the Application or Plan Type dropdown list to “Accretion Application” or “Accretion Final Plan.”  The Surveyor General Practice Guide contains instructions for Web Filing.

  • In Web Filing, Checklists for application packages are integrated into the Web Filing process and are entered online. An example checklist for an Accretion application is PDF icon located here.

  • An PDF icon example checklist is also provided to assist in preparation of the final plan.

  • Directions to Land Surveyors No. 12 and No. 14 provide additional information.