How does my organization become eligible to hold a conservation covenant on a particular parcel of land?

Individuals and non-government organizations are able to register a covenant on private lands. Anyone interested in registering and holding...

Note: Page updated to include instructions for Web Filing

Content for this page has been updated to include instructions for Web Filing of applications to the Surveyor General. Background information on Web Filing is available here. Technical instructions for Web Filing have been added to myLTSA’s Surveyor General Practice Guide.

The PDF versions of Surveyor General forms are now retired. Land surveyors must use the Web Filing versions of these forms moving forward. Web Filing forms can be accessed through the Web Filing menu option in myLTSA.

Section 58, Land Act

  • The Province allocates Crown land to an individual or organization by issuing a Crown grant (see: Crown grant example). Generally, attached to a Crown grant is a sketch plan of the subject land. These sketch plans often show features such as roads, bodies of water and watercourses, which, although they are within the subject property, are not alienated with the grant.
  • If doubt exists whether land is included in a grant, or whether it is in the public interest that the part coloured other than in red on a Crown grant tracing need be retained by the Province, the land owner can apply, through their land surveyor, to the Surveyor General to have the land placed within their title. The Surveyor General, on behalf of the Minister, has the ability to transfer these lands pursuant to section 58 of the Land Act. Please note that the Surveyor General is unable to directly transfer roads that are deemed to be highway, as defined in section 1 of the Transportation Act to private ownership. An inter-ministry process has been developed through which road can be transferred to the owner of the surrounding property and is described in the Surveyor General Policy and Procedure for disposing of provincial public highway through section 58 of the Land Act.

  • Upon receipt of an application, the Surveyor General refers it for comment to the local office of the Ministry of Forests, Lands Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development, and may be referred to local governments that have requested to comment on applications within their jurisdictions. Once all referral comments are received, the Surveyor General reviews the relevant facts of the application and then renders a statutory decision. If the application is approved, a BC land surveyor will conduct a field survey and prepare a final plan of the subject property. The Surveyor General must certify the plan in order for it to be accepted for deposit in the Land Title Office. Once the plan is deposited in the Land Title Office, a new indefeasible title is registered based upon the extent of the land defined in the new plan.

  • Please submit applications through myLTSA using the Web Filing Surveyor General Application and Plan Submission form and setting the Application or Plan Type dropdown list to “Section 58 Land Act Application” or “Section 58 Land Act Final Plan.” The Surveyor General Practice Guide contains instructions for Web Filing.

  • In Web Filing, Checklists for application packages are integrated into the Web Filing process and are entered online. An example checklist for an Inclusion application is PDF icon located here

  • An PDF icon example checklist is also provided to assist in the preparation of the final plan. 

  • Please refer to PDF icon Circular Letter 484, as well as the Directions to Land Surveyors No. 12 for additional information.