Section 58, Land Act

  • The Province allocates Crown land to an individual or organization by issuing a Crown grant (see: PDF iconCrown grant example). Generally, attached to a Crown grant is a sketch plan of the subject land. These sketch plans often show features such as roads, bodies of water and watercourses, which, although they are within the subject property, are not alienated with the grant.
  • If doubt exists whether land is included in a grant, or whether it is in the public interest that the part coloured other than in red on a Crown grant tracing need be retained by the Province, the land owner can apply, through their land surveyor, to the Surveyor General to have the land placed within their title. The Surveyor General, on behalf of the Minister, has the ability to transfer these lands pursuant to section 58 of the Land Act . Please note that the Surveyor General is unable to transfer roads that are deemed to be highway, as defined in section 1 of the Transportation Act to private ownership.
  • Please submit applications through the Electronic Filing System (EFS). The EFS User's Guide outlines the process to submit an application.
  • Inclusion application packages must include a completed Application Checklist.