Who is responsible for maintaining ParcelMap BC?

The Surveyor General Services of the LTSA is responsible for the quality of the land survey structure for the Province, and the LTSA is the...

Where can land surveyors view the ParcelMap BC dataset specifications?

Visit the Survey Plan Datasets page to view the Survey Plan Dataset specification and other...

April 23, 2007


Re: Bill 12, 2007 Amendments to the Mineral Tenure Act

On March 29, 2007, Bill 12 Miscellaneous Statutes Amendment Act, 2007 received Royal Assent. Within this Bill, there are several amendments to the Mineral Tenure Act.

Of particular interest is section 50 of the Bill that amends section 42 of the Mineral Tenure Act as follows:

50 Section 42 is amended

(a) by repealing subsection (1) and substituting the following:

(1) A recorded holder of a mineral claim who wishes to replace the mineral claim with a lease must do all of the following:

(a) comply with section 6.32 and pay the prescribed fee;

(b) if required to do so by the chief gold commissioner, have the mineral claim over which the mining lease will be issued surveyed by a British Columbia land surveyor and have the survey approved by the Surveyor General;

(c) post a notice in the prescribed form in the office of the chief gold commissioner stating that the recorded holder intends to apply for a mining lease;

(d) publish promptly in one issue of the Gazette, and once each week for 4 consecutive weeks in a newspaper circulating in the area in which the mineral claim is situated, a copy of the notice referred to in paragraph (c).

In accordance with section 42(1)(b) of the amended Mineral Tenure Act, the Chief Gold Commissioner now has the discretion as to whether or not a legal survey will be required when a mineral claim converts to a mining lease. The office of the Surveyor General is working with the Chief Gold Commissioner to develop implementation procedures for this new provision, including criteria that would assist the Chief Gold Commissioner in determining when a survey should be required. In the interim until these procedures are in place, to determine if a survey will be required, please provide details of the mineral claim and any other relevant issues to:

Updated contacts

Rick Conte, Executive Director
Titles Division
Mineral Titles Branch
Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources
303-865 Hornby Street
Vancouver BC V6Z 2G3

Telephone: (604) 660-2814
Fax: (604) 660-2653
E-Mail: Rick.Conte@gov.bc.ca


Chief Gold Commissioner
Titles Division
Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources
P.O. Box 9326, 8th Floor, 1810 Blanshard Street
Victoria BC V8W 9N3

Telephone: (250) 356-0552
Fax: (250) 356-0582

For current contact information for Mineral Titles, please consult the BC Government Directory. (added October 29, 2015)

Yours sincerely,

Original signed by Rick Hargraves

Rick Hargraves, BCLS
Surveyor General